Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Chosen Ones










Steve Raybine:

Blog #2:

 
"The Chosen Ones"

 
Ask yourself this question: When you decided to play a musical instrument, did you have any idea that you were competing with other instruments for audience popularity? Answer: I bet that you didn't--I know that I certainly wasn't aware of this situation. Perhaps you didn't even care which instrument was more popular? When I started taking lessons, I began on the piano, which to this day, enjoys a certain degree of popularity in multiple idioms as both a frontline and backline instrument. From there, I progressed to the drumset, which is still a popular instrument, but is generally considered a 'backline' instrument in contemporary music. However, phase three of my instrumental choice, the vibraphone (my primary instrument), has chosen to be a surprise to me over the years.






The vibraphone or vibes as they are commonly known (no, not a xylophone as most people refer to it), is considered a jazz instrument. Although the vibes are utilized in all sorts of ensembles (symphonic bands; orchestras; recording studios; etc.,), they have historically been most popular fronting a jazz combo, which has suited my musical purposes--to a certain degree. What I didn't realize when I decided to focus on the vibraphone as my primary instrument, is that it is not considered as versatile and popular as many other instruments within the music industry--especially on radio. Mind you, I'm not saying that certain factions of the music business don't appreciate or even like the vibes, but that it is simply not as popular as some of the following instruments:


1.) Trumpet


2.) Piano/Keyboards


3.) Electric Bass


4.) Drums


5.) Trombone (this instrument is not nearly as popular as it once was, however)


6.) Vocals (yes, a vocalist uses their voice as an instrument)


7.) Violin


and the most BELOVED Instruments of all............the SAXOPHONE and the GUITAR.






That's correct all you hopeful instrumentalists, everyone pales in comparison to the exhalted saxophone(s) and guitar(s). In the vast arena of contemporary music, the sax and guitar dominate all other instruments, unless we also include vocals within this hierarchy. In Smooth Jazz, these two instruments comprise 90% or more of the music that is played on Smooth Jazz radio stations. In much of the jazz idiom, those two instruments are most prevalent with the aforementioned instruments comprising the majority of the remaining marketplace. In Rock or some facsimile therein, guitars and vocals rule and everyone else drools. However, Rock-oriented bands still need a competent drummer and bassist with the occasional keyboardist thrown into the mix. Country music features guitars and vocals with a similar configuration to the bands within the Rock genre. I'm not including symphonic or orchestral music within this discussion as those genres are unique unto themselves and comprise a relatively small percentage of the recorded music today.






You'll notice that thus far, I haven't mentioned the flute; piccolo; clarinet; bass clarinet; bassoon; oboe; english horn; baritone; tuba; harp; cello and viola (primarily orchestral and symphonic instruments) within this discussion of instrument popularity. Guess what: they're unfortunately not that popular within contemporary 'popular' music. Does that surprise you? I've always favored the flute, but it just isn't a major player on radio or in concerts, instrumentally speaking, that is. Either is the clarinet, which reached its zenith during the Swing Era of the 1930's and 40's.






So, what does this all mean? It means that from a radio perspective, the beloved instruments, (a.k.a. "The Chosen Ones"), get the vast majority of the radio play. Music Directors and Program Directors from radio stations consciously orient their play lists around songs that feature these instruments or voice. The rest get the leftovers, in varying degrees, with trumpet being the most preferred other instrument. If you receive the majority of radio play, then you'll get more printed press (ink, as it is known), sell more product (CD's; T-shirts, etc.,) and you'll get more of the premier bookings (festivals; cruises; etc.,).






What can be done about this hierarchical situation? All of the not-so-popular instruments need to make a concerted effort to prove their inherent worth to all factions of the music industry. Thus far, over a ten year period, I've released and promoted three CD's to radio and the music business and have made some substantial gains within the marketplace (primarily Smooth Jazz radio). My music has been played on over one hundred thirty (130) regular and internet radio stations around the world. That means that the "vibraphone" (a less common radio instrument), has actually been played and featured on these stations many times. Trust me when I say that this has been a long, arduous and expensive road I've traveled on behalf of instrument viability. I've coupled my music and instrument with saxophone, guitar, trumpet, keyboards, etc., in order to increase my chances of being played on radio. And, for the record, I also like the saxophone and guitar--they're eminently likeable and versatile instruments. Mind you, I'm still trying to crack through the glass ceiling of radio and be accepted into the top echelon of radio stations--whether I make it that far remains a quest-in-progress. Sometimes I feel like Martin Luther King when he said, "I've seen the promised land (of radio), but I may not make it there with you."






What the future holds for all of us less popular instruments remains to be seen. I've been your point man--I've tried to run interference for all of you who are struggling for acceptance and opportunities. Remember what I told you initially about instrument popularity? Well, maybe now you've come to realize that popularity means more artistic opportunities to showcase your talent and to make money performing on your instrument. Heed my call: the time to act and to speak up is NOW! It already may be too late. Remember: the instrument-makers didn't design just a couple of instruments to have a monopoly over all other instruments. You're as good as everyone else--it's time to embrace and promote your uniqueness and your potential--otherwise it may never come to pass.


Steve Raybine




Copyright 2009 Steve Raybine



All Rights Reserved




















http://www.steveraybine.com/



http://www.myspace.com/steveraybine

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Raybine/56070941106

 
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/raybine3


http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Steve+Raybine&search_type=&aq=f

No comments:

Post a Comment