Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dr. Raybine, I Presume?










Steve Raybine:



Blog #12:




Dr. Raybine, I Presume?




It's been ten years since I left the confines (no joke) of academia. Although I left academia (university academics), I still continue teaching--something I enjoy very much. Actually, for the last five years or more, I've taught approximately 2,500 private music lessons each year. Unlike my years teaching in college, today my students are primarily elementary, middle and high school students. Moreover, unlike my college students who knew me as Dr. Raybine, my current students refer to me as Mr. Raybine. So, what's the scoop about good of' Dr. Raybine?



On May 4th, 1990, I graduated with a Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) degree in performance from the University of Iowa, in Iowa City, Iowa. From that point on, I became officially known as Dr. Steven A. Raybine. This truly was the culmination of a lengthy pursuit in higher education for me and my family. As anyone can tell you that attains their doctoral degree, this is a family endeavor as much as an individual achievement. My wife, Beth, supported me personally and financially throughout this ordeal, and believe me when I tell you that this was an ordeal--for both of us. My parents were also assisting financially throughout the process, which enabled me to complete my degree program.




The University of Iowa had a very rigorous and demanding curriculum for those individuals pursuing their doctoral (graduate) degree in music during my tenure at the university. Not only were there many music requirements to fulfill, but the academic requirements were staggering--especially the thesis portion of the degree. In addition to my degree in percussion performance, I was also pursuing a minor in music theory, which added to the complexity of my program. I can't begin to articulate the endless hours I spent fulfilling just the music theory portion of the degree--although interesting and challenging, it was interminable. If memory serves me correctly, it took me about 5 ½ to 6 years to complete my degree program. Whew!



Currently, I'm rarely referred to as Dr. Raybine anymore, unless I happen to see an old student from my days as a university assistant professor--never made associate or full professor. Actually, I'm very comfortable being good ol' Mr. Raybine, or even Steve. Interestingly, I was never 'hung-up' on being called Dr. Raybine--there was a certain formality about it that never really appealed to me. Ultimately, the title felt a bit stuffy and somewhat self-indulgent to me. Besides, it made me feel too distant from my students, which I didn't care for. So, although I remain very proud of my academic achievement(s), it is more relevant to my past, than to the present.


Some of you will pursue graduate degrees and will attain your doctorate in music or some other field. You should be applauded for this, because it truly is a great accomplishment. However, if you do attain this prestigious achievement, I encourage you to retain your humility and the ability to remember what it felt like to be known as Mr.; Miss; Ms. or Mrs._________ (you fill in the blank).



Copyright 2009 Steve Raybine


All Rights Reserved



















http://www.steveraybine.com/



http://www.myspace.com/steveraybine




http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Raybine/56070941106




http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/raybine3


http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Steve+Raybine&search_type=&aq=f



http://www.smoothjazz.eu/index2.php?artist=85

No comments:

Post a Comment