Friday, November 13, 2009

Los Angeles










Steve Raybine:




Blog #15:




Los Angeles





Los Angeles has many nicknames such as L.A.; Hell A.; Lost Angeles; Los Angles; Los Angelinos; City of Angels (its actual meaning) and the infamous Lost Arseholes, which was John Lennon's nickname for Los Angeles. Whatever you choose to call it, I spent 4 ½ years in Los Angeles and by the time I left, I had had enough--it was time to find some real friends and to rediscover my musical compass.






I had some interesting (and not so interesting) times living in Los Angeles during my twenties. I was a naive newbie to the L.A. scene when I tried to help Auracle (my band) secure a recording project. Initially, I took all of my college graduation money from my grandfather ($800.00) to help finance a two-week reconnaissance mission to the heart center of the music business--the glitz and glamour of L.A. Along with Auracle's drummer, it was our task to determine the feasibility of relocating to Los Angeles in order to launch our music careers. In hindsight, it was a colossal waste of my money to attempt to help that band, because it was an organization doomed to failure. Why, you ask? Not due to a lack of talent--the six of us had an abundance of that, but because we were incompatible on various levels and were involved in some complicated business relationships that we couldn't resolve. Simply put, in spite of our early successes (recording contract; touring; international press; etc.), we couldn't get along with each other for the greater good of the band. We weren't the first band to break-up and won't be the last, but it was very unfortunate that a band comprised of such young and talented musical performers and composers ultimately fell very short of their initial goals. All the promise of whatever Los Angeles held for Auracle, dissipated gradually, but completely. Note: Several of the original members of Auracle continue to live in their adopted city.






Most everyone has heard stories about Los Angeles (and Hollywood) being a fickle city--not the place where you make lifelong friends. I know that's not true for everyone, but it was for me. I'm from the Midwest, actually a northern Midwestern state (Wisconsin). Wisconsin is a state where you know your neighbors and people enjoy being kind and genuinely nice to each other. Moreover, most people are not preoccupied with competing with or "one-upping" (out-doing) each other. Wisconsonites are "true blue," as my wife might describe the people back home. They look out for each other because they like one another. Unfortunately, that wasn't my experience in Los Angeles. By the time I left L.A. and returned to my homeland, it actually took me awhile to become accustomed to the lifestyle I cherished as a young boy. Years later, I'm still in the Midwest (Omaha, Nebraska--the "Heartland"), which is another city with "salt-of-the-earth" people. Although it certainly isn't as large or as glamorous as Los Angeles, it still has a lot of culture...and great people that truly care about you and your family. I got married in Omaha; raised my family there; established my music career there and made many great friends that I cherish and am grateful for. You see, I wasn't meant to live in Los Angeles--the place just didn't resonate with me. I'm much happier in an environment, which is similar to the one where I was raised as a youngin'.






The moral of the story for you and for me, is that the grass is not always greener in some city where things are supposed to be better for one reason or another. External appearances can prove to be very superficial once you've truly examined them. In summation: quality of life matters; "true-blue" friends matter; raising your children in a safe environment with excellent public schools matter; a city that adheres to sound financial principles matter; an environment that isn't cluttered with a preponderance of meaningless billboards matter; a city where the average American can afford reasonable housing matters. Need I go on?






Los Angeles and Hollywood will always represent the ultimate fantasy for many people--so be it. Unfortunately for me (or should I say fortunately for me), the fantasy wasn't that great.






Copyright 2009 Steve Raybine


All Rights Reserved





















http://www.steveraybine.com/



http://www.myspace.com/steveraybine


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Raybine/56070941106



http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/raybine3





http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Steve+Raybine&search_type=&aq=f





http://www.smoothjazz.eu/index2.php?artist=85

No comments:

Post a Comment